Wednesday, May 4th, 2016
Orthodontics used to be considered a treatment just for kids – not anymore. Adults are seeking orthodontic treatment in higher numbers today, and with good reason because braces can change your smile.
Your smile is one of the first things that people notice about you and maybe yours isn’t as perfect as you would like. Maybe you had braces as a child but your teeth have shifted over time (and maybe you didn’t wear those retainers like you should have). Maybe your teeth were always straight but have shifted some as you have aged. Maybe there is just that one little tooth, right there in the front, that has always bothered you when you look at photographs. There are so many reasons for adult orthodontics and today there are also many choices when it comes to treatment.
Orthodontic treatment today doesn’t mean years of metal brackets and rubber bands. Some cases can be completed in only six months. Some cases don’t need brackets at all and teeth can be straightened using clear plastic trays. The choice will depend upon your wants and the type of treatment your dentist feels is most appropriate.
Invisalign braces straighten teeth using a series of clear plastic aligner trays. Each aligner is worn for about two weeks and then changed to the next in the series. This gently moves the teeth to their proper place. Most people find Invisalign incredibly comfortable and the trays can be removed so you can eat (no need to limit foods that could damage brackets) and clean your teeth.
If you aren’t completely happy with the appearance of your smile then it is time to contact Wilbanks Smile Center in Toccoa, GA at 706-391-8777 to schedule your consultation. Adult orthodontics may be just what you need to achieve the smile you’ve always longed for.
Saturday, November 21st, 2015
There are lots of reasons that adults end up with crooked teeth. The good news is that there are lots of choices for adult orthodontics today.
It could be that your teeth weren’t perfect as a child but you never had braces. It could be that you had braces but didn’t wear retainers (you know who you are!). Your teeth could have shifted with age – a very common problem. Crowded, crooked teeth are not only unsightly — they are more difficult to keep clean and thus are more prone to tooth decay.
Options for adult orthodontics include: traditional braces, invisible braces and now you can even have orthodontic treatment if you are missing some teeth by using dental implants.
- Traditional braces no longer look like you have a mouth full of metal. Today we have clear brackets that are not noticeable when you smile or speak. Traditional braces are used to correct a wide range of problems including overbite- underbite, crowding and crooked teeth.
- Invisalign are invisible braces. Invisalign does not use brackets and wires to move the teeth. Instead, a series of clear aligners are created at a special lab. Each one of these aligners is worn by the patient for a specific amount of time and then the patient moves to the next aligner. Invisalign trays are virtually invisible when worn — your friends and co-workers won’t even know you are straightening your smile!
Find out more about your options for a more beautiful smile by contacting Wilbanks Smile Center in Toccoa, GA today at 706-391-8777.
Thursday, May 15th, 2014
Most people associate dental braces as being worn by young children and teenagers. However, braces are now more popular than ever among adults who want to correct the look of their teeth, and improve their smile! Orthodontic treatments offer something for everyone.
Adults seek orthodontic treatment for various reasons, from crooked teeth to unwanted spaces in between teeth. Aside from cosmetic issues, crooked or uneven teeth can also make everyday activities, like eating or talking comfortably, quite difficult for many adults.
Dental braces have come a long way over the years. In the past, uncomfortable metal braces were the only option for patients who needed to correct crooked or imperfect teeth. However, Invisalign® braces have become increasingly popular over the years- especially among adults, who do not want to wear embarrassing, or uncomfortable, metal braces.
Invisalign are invisible dental aligners, which can discreetly correct your crooked teeth, and give you a more beautiful smile! Unlike traditional dental braces, Invisalign braces are removable. This means you have the flexibility to drink and eat what you like, while still treating dental issues by simply removing the aligners! Just by brushing and flossing regularly, you can maintain good oral hygiene.
Invisalign is also preferred by many patients since it will not cause any irritation to your mouth. Perhaps best of all, you will spend much less time in a dental chair, although your dentist will monitor your progress closely as you wear Invisalign.
So, is Invisalign for you? Most patients are considered good candidates for Invisalign, since it offers all the same benefits of traditional dental braces without the added irritation or discomfort! Both younger and older patients alike can benefit from the treatment, especially if they wish to correct the appearance of crooked, overcrowded, or spaced teeth. However, your dentist will make the final determination of whether or not Invisalign is right for you.
Dental Care in Toccoa
If you’re ready to learn more about Invisalign®, contact us today and schedule a consultation. Our offices are located in Toccoa, GA, and we can be reached at 706-886-9439. We look forward to serving you.
Friday, January 31st, 2014
Drinking soda doesn’t just negatively impact your waistline – it permanently affects your teeth. All carbonated soft drinks, whether they are diet or touted as low in sugar, wear away your teeth’s enamel.
Tooth enamel is a hard, thin, translucent layer of calcification that protects your teeth from daily wear and tear. Although it’s the hardest substance in your body, enamel cannot be replaced once it’s gone. That’s why it’s important to protect and properly care for your enamel while you still have it.
Acidic and sugary foods and drinks erode enamel, and dentists are noticing that more and more – as well as younger and younger – people are suffering from worn off enamel. Most popular sodas contain phosphoric and citric acid, which contribute to flavor, but these chemicals make drinks more acidic than lemon juice or vinegar.
Many studies have shown how soda contributes to tooth erosion, cavities and dental decay. But unfortunately, the amount of soda that Americans drink remains steadily on the rise. In fact, the average American drinks about 44 gallons of soda every year, according to the National Soft Drink Association.
If you’re used to having a soda at lunchtime or drink several sodas a week, it’s time to put your dental health first and kick your cola habit. Cut down on your soft drinks or try going cold turkey altogether, and know that you’re doing what’s best for your teeth.
If you have a soda every now and then, don’t sip it throughout the day, which will expose your teeth the acidic chemicals for a longer amount of time. Only drink it while also eating other food, which will help to clear it off of your teeth.
To further remove phosphoric and citric acid from your teeth, brush them immediately after drinking soda. If you aren’t able to brush, thoroughly rinse with a mouthwash or water. Chewing sugar-free gum also helps get harmful chemicals and bacteria away from your teeth and gums.
Those who don a mouthguard during sports or who wear Invisalign aligners should be extra careful about avoiding sodas – these devices can force acidic chemicals to stay against your teeth even longer, which leads to enamel loss as well as tooth decay and staining.
Dental Care in Toccoa
If you would like to learn more about protecting your enamel, taking care of your smile, or any of the dental treatments that the Wilbanks Smile Center offers, contact us today and schedule your consultation. Our offices are located in Toccoa, GA, and we can be reached at 706-886-9439. We look forward to hearing from you.
Wednesday, January 15th, 2014
When Invisalign aligners were first introduced more than a decade ago, the teeth-straightening treatment mainly appealed to adults who wanted to improve their smile without the embarrassment of bulky metal braces and bands. Since then, Invisalign has become increasingly popular among teens and even preteens who have lost all of their primary teeth.
Let’s take a look at five factors that make Invisalign aligners so convenient, and how it stacks up against conventional braces:
- It’s Faster. The length of each patient’s Invisalign treatment varies depending on the severity of the changes needed to correct their smile, but the complete Invisalign procedure typically takes only a year. My comparison, braces take approximately 22 months. However, braces may take longer for adults than for children, with some adults having to wear braces for three years or more.
- No Food Limitations. With Invisalign, the patient wears their aligners for the recommended 20 to 22 hours per day, which allows them the flexibility to remove them when it’s time to eat meals and snacks. Those with braces are prohibited from eating “problem foods” such as popcorn, apples, caramel, hard candy and gum.
- Normal Flossing and Brushing. Because Invisalign aligners are easily removable, they can be taken out when it’s time to brush or floss, allowing patients to maintain good oral hygiene. While it’s often difficult to thoroughly brush around braces, and special “floss picks” must be used in place of flossing, those with Invisalign do not have to deal with these cumbersome restrictions.
- More Comfortable. The metal brackets and wires that make up traditional braces tend to cut into and irritate cheeks and gums, especially as the wire ends poking out near the back molars extend and need to be trimmed short. Invisalign’s aligners, which are made of a smooth plastic that is specially molded to fit snugly over the teeth, are more comfortable for many patients. Braces pose a hazard for those who play sports such as football or ice hockey, where a blow to the jaw can painfully push braces into the cheek’s soft tissue. With Invisalign, that isn’t a problem, since the aligners can be removed while playing sports.
- More Attractive, Less Noticeable. Best of all, Invisalign’s molded design, see-through plastic material and smooth texture make them nearly invisible when worn. Unlike braces, Invisalign’s clear aligners are virtually undetectable, so most people don’t even notice when someone is wearing them.
Invisalign in Toccoa
If you would like to learn more about Invisalign aligners, or any other orthodontics or dental treatments that the Wilbanks Smile Center offers, contact us today and schedule your consultation. Our offices are located in Toccoa, GA, and we can be reached at 706-886-9439. We look forward to hearing from you.