Tuesday, June 17th, 2014
While the health of your teeth and gums are the first priority, cosmetic dentistry procedures are designed to improve the aesthetic vale of your smile. There are a variety of cosmetic treatments available today, depending on your needs and wishes, that can boost your confidence and give you the smile you’ve always dreamed of.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common cosmetic dentistry procedures.
- Veneers. Veneers are thin, tooth-colored shells that are fit and bonded to existing teeth to make them more attractive. There are two types of veneers: composite and porcelain.
- Tooth Re-shaping/Re-contouring. This technique fixes teeth that are different lengths, or those that have become rough or uneven over time. A small portion of the tooth is shaved off, creating a more uniform appearance within the mouth.
- Bonding. Dental bonding is a special tooth-colored plastic filling that can restore and reshape the teeth. Your dentist will sculpt and mold the filling to the desired shape of the tooth. Dental bonding usually lasts up to a decade.
- Teeth Whitening. The most convenient and common cosmetic procedure, teeth whitening involves a bleaching gel that removes stains from teeth that come with daily use and age. Whitening can either be performed in-office or with a special at-home kit. Teeth whitening will not work on veneers or crowns.
- Dental Crowns. A dental crown restores a broken or cracked tooth to its original shape and size. Crowns also improve the function of a tooth, and there are different types of that serve different purposes and meet specific needs.
Dental Care in Toccoa
If you’re ready to learn more about cosmetic dentistry procedures, contact us today and schedule a consultation. Our offices are located in Toccoa, GA, and we can be reached at 706-886-9439. We look forward to serving you.
Wednesday, January 15th, 2014
When Invisalign aligners were first introduced more than a decade ago, the teeth-straightening treatment mainly appealed to adults who wanted to improve their smile without the embarrassment of bulky metal braces and bands. Since then, Invisalign has become increasingly popular among teens and even preteens who have lost all of their primary teeth.
Let’s take a look at five factors that make Invisalign aligners so convenient, and how it stacks up against conventional braces:
- It’s Faster. The length of each patient’s Invisalign treatment varies depending on the severity of the changes needed to correct their smile, but the complete Invisalign procedure typically takes only a year. My comparison, braces take approximately 22 months. However, braces may take longer for adults than for children, with some adults having to wear braces for three years or more.
- No Food Limitations. With Invisalign, the patient wears their aligners for the recommended 20 to 22 hours per day, which allows them the flexibility to remove them when it’s time to eat meals and snacks. Those with braces are prohibited from eating “problem foods” such as popcorn, apples, caramel, hard candy and gum.
- Normal Flossing and Brushing. Because Invisalign aligners are easily removable, they can be taken out when it’s time to brush or floss, allowing patients to maintain good oral hygiene. While it’s often difficult to thoroughly brush around braces, and special “floss picks” must be used in place of flossing, those with Invisalign do not have to deal with these cumbersome restrictions.
- More Comfortable. The metal brackets and wires that make up traditional braces tend to cut into and irritate cheeks and gums, especially as the wire ends poking out near the back molars extend and need to be trimmed short. Invisalign’s aligners, which are made of a smooth plastic that is specially molded to fit snugly over the teeth, are more comfortable for many patients. Braces pose a hazard for those who play sports such as football or ice hockey, where a blow to the jaw can painfully push braces into the cheek’s soft tissue. With Invisalign, that isn’t a problem, since the aligners can be removed while playing sports.
- More Attractive, Less Noticeable. Best of all, Invisalign’s molded design, see-through plastic material and smooth texture make them nearly invisible when worn. Unlike braces, Invisalign’s clear aligners are virtually undetectable, so most people don’t even notice when someone is wearing them.
Invisalign in Toccoa
If you would like to learn more about Invisalign aligners, or any other orthodontics or dental treatments that the Wilbanks Smile Center offers, contact us today and schedule your consultation. Our offices are located in Toccoa, GA, and we can be reached at 706-886-9439. We look forward to hearing from you.