Give Yourself the Gift of SleepFriday, December 14th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Recent surveys have shown that most of us are sleeping less than six hours per ight and almost 75% of us have sleep problems each week. While a few days of insomnia is no fun, it is not usually a big problem and you will most likely go back to your normal sleeping patterns. When sleep loss becomes chronic, however, it can contribute to health problems.
Lack of sleep or poor qualitysleep can contribute to weight gain, high blood pressure and weaken the immune system. Our body needs 7 to 9 hours of good quality sleep each night so it can perform the following functions:
- Learning – sleep helps us process new information and consolidate memory
- Metabolism – lack of sleep affects how our bodies store and process carbohydrates
- Mood – lack of sleep makes us cranky, moody and impatient
- Heart health – sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea are linked by heart disease, high blood pressure and arterial damage
- Safety – sleepy drivers are responsible for a large percentage of serious accidents
Getting a good night’s sleep is impossible if you have a spouse that snores loudly. The snoring spouse may actually be suffering from obstructive sleep apnea which is a serious sleep breathing disorder. Find out about oral appliances to stop simple snoring and to treat obstructive sleep apnea for patients who cannot tolerate CPAP by contacting Wilbanks Smile Center in Toccoa, GA today at 706-886-9439.
Category: Dental Sleep Medicine