5 Reasons for Getting a Dental ImplantFriday, October 8th, 2010, 2:31 pm
There are many ways to replace missing teeth but only one method – the dental implant - so closely matches how natural teeth work in the mouth. Here are some reasons you should consider an implant:
1. Dental implants help save your jawbone. The old adage “use it or lose it” applies to the bone in our jaw as well. Without the tooth roots the bone has no stimulation and will simply be absorbed into the body.
2. Dental implants make you look younger! Our teeth and bones support our facial features, keeping them in place. Losing teeth (and jaw bone – see above) ages your facial appearance. Dental implants also allow you to smile and laugh without worrying which makes you feel better and when you feel good you look great!
3. Dental implants last longer. Ordinary wear and tear and decay underneath attached teeth can cause normal dental bridges or partial dentures to need repair and replacement after several years of use. A successful dental implant can easily last 20 years or more and will never decay because they are made of titanium.
4. Dental implants improve your speech. No, they won’t get rid of the accent you’ve been trying to lose for years but they help you avoid the clicking or whistling that can accompany poor fitting partial or full dentures. Dentures can be bulky and frequently come loose. Since dental implants act like real teeth – you can speak with confidence.
5. Dental implants help keep your remaining teeth where they belong. When one tooth is removed, the others start to wander to fill in the empty spot. This can lead to a bad bite and its accompanying headaches, jaw pain and muscle soreness. A dental implant keeps the existing teeth in their rightful places and maintains your good “bite”.
While dental implants may initially cost more than alternative tooth replacements in the long run, over the life of the implant, the costs may even out. Plus the dramatically better quality of life and comfort given by a dental implant is hard to put a price tag on.
Please contact my Toccoa, Georgia full-service dental office today at 706-886-9439 to discuss whether you are a candidate for a dental implant.