5 Dental Myths DebunkedThursday, May 22nd, 2014, 3:53 pm
Healthy teeth make for a healthy body. As more and more research proves that dental health can have a strong impact on your overall health, it’s important to know that some commonly held beliefs regarding dental health may actually be hurting you. Learn what’s right and wrong for your teeth by exploring some common dental myths, debunked.
- Teeth whitening will destroy tooth enamel. In-home teeth whitening kits generally contain less than 3% of active ingredients, so moderate use of such products will typically not harm teeth. However, in-office procedures are the safest form of teeth whitening and will produce the best results.
- Only mouthwash containing alcohol is effective. Mouthwash containing alcohol has been linked to oral cancer since the 1970s. Alcohol dehydrates the mouth and teeth, which can lead to additional oral health issues.
- Everyone has to have their wisdom teeth removed. Wisdom teeth are like the tonsils or appendix because through evolution, they have become non-essential to human health. However, just as not every child has his or her tonsils removed, not every child has to have his or her wisdom teeth removed. Unless wisdom teeth are causing pain, they can remain in the mouth.
- Silver cavity fillings are safe. This is actually contrary to research findings. Silver fillings contain more than 50% mercury. Mercury that leaks out of silver fillings over time has been linked to auto-immune diseases, mental disorders, and neurological disorders. If you have silver fillings, it is recommended seeing your dentist to have them replaced with tooth-colored fillings.
- Eating sugar is the main cause of cavities. Sugar has a bad reputation in regards to health, but it is not the main cause of cavities. Acid is the major culprit when it comes to tooth decay and the formulation of cavities. Acid and saliva mix together to produce the plaque-causing agents that cause cavities.
Dental Care in Toccoa
If you’re ready to learn more about your dental health, contact us today and schedule a consultation. Our offices are located in Toccoa, GA, and we can be reached at 706-886-9439. We look forward to serving you.