Are You Wrecking Your Teeth?Friday, May 10th, 2013, 8:52 pm
- Brushing incorrectly. Using a hard bristle brush or brushing too hard or too often can damage the enamel on your teeth. Brushing too soon after eating or drinking something acidic can also cause damage because tooth enamel softens when exposed to acids). Rinse your mouth with water immediately after eating and brush 30 to 60 minutes later. On the flip side, not brushing enough leaves bacteria in your mouth that cause cause tooth decay and gum disease.
- Skipping the floss. Floss is just as important as brushing because it cleans between the teeth and under the gum line where your toothbrush can’t reach.
- Using teeth as tools. Ripping open the bag of chips, chomping ice and even popping bottle caps – people do lots of things with their teeth that they shouldn’t do. Use your teeth for chewing food and you’ll avoid lots of problems.
- Drinking sports or energy drinks, soda or fruit juice regularly can damage teeth. All of them have too much sugar and most have very high acid levels as well. Water is the healthiest choice but if you do drink the others I suggest finishing the drink quickly and then rinsing with water.
- Oral piercings – There is nothing positive for your teeth about having a piece of metal banging away at them all day. Chipping, breaking and wearing away of enamel are all common.
- Smoking is bad for your oral health as well as your overall health. Smoking is a big factor in tooth loss because it is a factor in the development of gum disease.
Stop wrecking your teeth and get healthy by visiting Wilbanks Smile Center in Toccoa, GA . Contact us today at 706-886-9439 to schedule your next cleaning and checkup!
Category: oral health