Healthy Mouth Means a Healthier You!Wednesday, November 14th, 2012, 10:45 pm
For several years research has shown us that having an infection in your mouth can increase your risk of diabetes, dementia, heart disease and pregnancy complications. The researchers have long thought that the reason for the connection was the oral bacteria responsible for the infected gums. Today we have newer studies that are linking the inflammation, not the bacteria, as a risk factor for these other conditions.
Gums that are infected due to gum disease create an inflammatory response in our bodies. This inflammatory response is believed to link your oral health with:
- Heart disease – People with long term gum infections are at nearly twice the risk for heart disease as those with healthy gums.
- Stroke – Evidence has shown that missing some or all of your teeth indicates a higher risk of stroke. Evidently severe gum disease is also a risk for developing atherosclerotic plaques which can cause heart attacks and strokes.
- Diabetes – Our diabetic patients know just how important keeping their gums healthy and infection free can be when it comes to maintaining good blood sugar levels. Researchers have discovered that gum disease somehow affects metabolism and can contribute to the development of pre-diabetes.
- Pregnancy complications such as pre-term birth have been found to be much higher in women with active gum disease.
- Alzheimer’s disease – Scientists have now found that inflammation from chronic gum disease gives you four times the risk of developing this disease. This is still just a theory but if it turns out to be true it could be an easily controlled risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease.
Keep your gums and your body healthy by scheduling your next dental hygiene visit today. Contact Wilbanks Smile Center in Toccoa, GA today at 706-886-9439.