Top 5 Excuses for Not FlossingThursday, November 8th, 2012, 7:39 pm
We all love to make excuses for things and when I ask patients about flossing – I get to hear a bunch of them! Surprisingly, surveys have shown that only 48% of us floss daily and 10% never floss (yuck). Flossing is even more important than brushing when it comes to preventing gum disease so skipping the floss is never a good idea.
The top excuses for not flossing:
- I don’t need to because food never gets stuck between my teeth. Flossing isn’t all about removing food debris, it is about removing dental plaque. Plaque is the complicated bacteria filled film that forms on your teeth. It causes tooth decay and gum disease and eventually tooth loss. Flossing is the only way to remove this from between your teeth. If this substance isn’t removed every day it becomes hard and turns into tartar that can only be removed by a professional cleaning.
- I don’t know how. Easily solved. Just ask your dental hygienist at your next appointment. Flossing lessons are something we are all happy to share.
- I’m too uncoordinated. Flossing doesn’t require walking and chewing gum at the same time. Once you’ve received your flossing lesson (see item 2) you’ll be able to floss. If you have problems with dexterity or mobility you can purchase floss picks that allow you to floss with just one hand, in the car, or in front of the TV, or just about anywhere.
- I don’t have time to floss. I understand that flossing is really time consuming – it should take a good 3 to 5 minutes to do a really good job. Again, flossing is something you can do while watching TV – maybe use the commercials to “time” your flossing! Even a quick 60 seconds worth of flossing is better than none at all.
- It hurts or my gums bleed. Guess what? Flossing only hurts or causes bleeding gums when you have gingivitis or gum disease. This is exactly when you need to be flossing on a regular basis and returning your gums to optimal health. With daily brushing and flossing the discomfort and bleeding should stop in a week or two. If it doesn’t please come see us.
There are a few other excuses like: the floss shreds or my dental work makes it hard to floss… There are ways to deal with that – just ask us! Contact Wilbanks Smile Center in Toccoa, GA today at 706-886-9439 and we’ll be happy to help you out.