What to Expect at a Routine Dental VisitWednesday, July 17th, 2013, 11:24 pm
It’s recommended that patients with healthy smiles visit the dentist at least once every six months for dental exams and cleanings. Through both a physical exam and diagnostic x-rays, these visits can help your dentist find and prevent things like tooth decay, gum disease, or oral cancer. The earlier these problems are detected, the easier treatment is.
Dental cleanings are performed by a certified dental hygienist keep teeth healthy and clean, and can further prevent various forms of dental diseases and conditions. Healthy teeth are not only important for a brighter smile, but also a healthier you. Read further for a more comprehensive list (from the Mayo Clinic) of what to expect at your next scheduled dental appointment.
Your dental professional will:
- Examine your overall health and your oral hygiene
- Evaluate your risk for tooth decay, root decay, and gum or bone disease
- Evaluate your need for tooth restoration or tooth replacement
- Check your bite and jaw for problems
- Remove any stains or deposits on your teeth
- Demonstrate proper cleaning techniques for your teeth or dentures
- Assess how much fluoride you’re getting through your diet and use of oral hygiene products
- Take dental X-rays or, if necessary, do other diagnostic procedures
In addition, your dentist will ask you about any other health problems you have or medications you are taking. He or she will explain if any of these things may affect your oral health or hygiene in any way. Your dental professional may even go on to advise you about certain lifestyle factors, such as diet, smoking, and more.
Make sure to schedule visits with your dentist at least once every six months for a healthy mouth and brighter smile! Patients with gum disease may have to visit a little more often until the condition is under control.
Dentist in Toccoa
If you’re due for a routine dental visit, contact us today and schedule your appointment. Our offices are located in Toccoa, GA, and we can be reached at 706-886-9439. We look forward to serving you.