5 Bad Habits That Wreck Your TeethWednesday, April 1st, 2015, 9:50 pm
Our teeth are designed to last a lifetime – if you take care of them. You probably have habits that are wrecking your teeth that you never thought much about. Here are 5 bad habits that you need to change to preserve your smile.
- Chewing ice. Some people like to chew the little round cubes, some people like the crushed stuff… but chewing any type of ice is terrible for your teeth. Ice is a very hard substance and the hard, cold, crystalline structure can cause teeth to chip or fracture in mid-chew.
- Using teeth instead of tools. Almost everyone has used their teeth to rip open that stubborn bag of chips. Some people use their teeth to open stuck bottle tops and worse! Your teeth are not a good substitute for a pair of pliers or a bottle opener. Save your teeth for eating and smiling!
- Drinking sports drinks. So you thought swapping soda for sports drinks was a smart trade — sports drinks contain the same damaging ingredients as soda. High amounts of sugar and acids combine to soften and damage tooth enamel leading to decay. Stick with water or (unsweetened) iced tea to maintain a healthy smile.
- Constant snacking. When you eat a full meal your saliva glands kick into gear and wash away food debris. When you snack, your mouth creates much less saliva which allows food to remain stuck on teeth for an extended period of time. This serves as a feast for oral bacteria that cause gum disease and tooth decay. Stick with healthy snacks like carrot sticks or chew some sugar free gum after snacking to clean teeth.
- Grinding. Grinding your teeth is usually not something you are conscious of doing. Many people grind in their sleep and don’t realize it until teeth start breaking or wearing down. Grinding your teeth can lead to tooth breakage and painful problems with the jaw joint (TMJ). If you think you might grind your teeth talk to your dentist about a protective device that can be worn during sleep to protect your teeth and jaw.
Keeping a healthy, beautiful smile for life is possible – if you take care of your teeth. If it has been a while since you have visited the dentist please contact Wilbanks Smile Center in Toccoa, GA at 706-391-8777 to schedule your visit.